High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Rudder Cable Attachment

This is a hard job that's continuing. That is, I didn't get it finished today. Mostly because it has to be right the first time, because a swaged cable isn't something that's easily changed.
The rudder cables connect to the ends of the bracket on which the rudder mounts. Pins in the rudder will fit through the two holes that are just inboard of the cables. Simultaneously, a fitting in the other (top) end of the rudder will slide down over the upper hingepin which was just mounted.

The thing here is, if there's too much slack in the cables, it appears that the rudder will work less well. In fact, if there's slack, the pedals will lean a bit farther forward though I want them to be 5 degrees aft of vertical. Too much of this, and the pedal would bottom out before it deflects the rudder fully! This can't be.

Get it right, and the pedals will turn the rudder without a lot of free play, and travel will be full.

Speaking of rudder deflection, I had to change the right hand rudder stop. This is one of the two hex screws seen here, with locking nuts on them. And blue threadlocker, to prevent problems.

I'm hoping I can get it all like I want it, marked, ready to be pulled out (I think it'll come out far enough, without me having to disconnect cables on their forward ends) to where I can swage it. That is, use my swaging tool to squeeze the bushings down around the cable for a good, solid connection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home