High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Friday, December 04, 2009

Tool for Sanding Washers


This is a tool to help me sand the washers to make them thinner. I found a piece of wood and used my router to cut a shallow depression the size of a washer. Then I could sand the washer without it moving around. I'd been doing this another way--pressing the washer down onto sandpaper and moving it around with a small piece of plastic I had, but that piece of plastic was wearing out. So I made this and finished the job with it.

The white material here is sawdust from the sanding. The lower depression is one that I'd made first, and not very well. The edges of it broke up quickly. Then I made the depression where the washer is.

2 Comments:

At 1/10/2010 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can also stick the washer to a piece of double sided sticky tape which holds it very firmly to a piece of wood, sprinkle with talcum powder, this removes the rest of the adhesive so the metal filings won't stick and then you can sand away with reasonable force without the washer moving.

 
At 1/16/2010 11:25 PM, Anonymous Tom said...

Thanks. If I ever need to thin a washer again, or need to thin anything like that, I'll remember this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home