High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Static Source for the Variometer


The bottom photo shows the 10 mm hole I drilled in the upper leading edge of the vertical fin of my Sinus. Then I fished out the end of the static tube that runs forward through the fuselage. It had a red string on the end, to make it easier to grab.

The top photo shows this same tube connected to the base of the static probe using a slightly larger piece of tubing several cm long. Warmed a bit, and with a dab of Gorilla Glue when it was about halfway on, I was able to slide it over the end of the static probe base. The smaller tube fit into the short length to the base of the black, and was fastened using Gorilla Glue (applied only to the smaller tube so that when I slid them together, the end wouldn't fill up with glue). A piece of shrink wrap (yellow) was placed over the joint, to further secure it. I slid a piece of wire into the end, and pulled it out again, to make sure the passage was open.

The black base got epoxied into the hole, and the junction of tubing will never, never be seen again. Never! So I tried to do it right.


The top of the blue tape on the left defines the direction in which the static probe must point.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home