High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tool Too Fat

The tool pictured earlier with which to reach down inside the Sinus flaperon tubes turned out to be too fat. It wouldn't fit into the tube that already had the tip riveted on. I needed a new plan quickly, and I made a skinny tool for each side (one side needs a 5 mm hex key whereas the other needs a 4 mm hex wrench). And they worked! Patty and I each manipulated one from either side of the fuselage this afternoon and got the bolt/nut in place!

At first, I thought about using lots of blue Permatex (threadlocker like Loctite) but realized we'd have to unscrew this bolt and nut while mounting the wings, in order to mark and drill the side where the tip is not yet riveted on. So no threadlocker until then!

Photos and descriptions of the tools I made will follow soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home