High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Driving Home in April

When coming home from a trip and entering my mountain valley in Colorado, I usually think about how good this feels--to have been somewhere, perhaps to do errands in the city, or coming home from a distant adventure as was last the case coming home from Cincinnati, then Santa Fe.

Well, I was only coming home from Salida, a town 20 miles down the valley. No big deal there, but it was a spectacularly beautiful late afternoon, almost evening. I wrote notes to myself which I'll use now.

Driving Home....

Home from Salida. The sun had just gone over the snowy peaks ahead, sunlight still wrapping around their summits. Near peaks looming, others going off stepwise to the north. Each jagged, pointed, all geographically associated by forming a straight line up one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley.

Nearer, a few sprouts of green. Water flowing in irrigation ditches. Low houses, farm buildings, and sheds where tractors are. A pickup moving along an unseen road. Pieces of irrigation pipe scattered, about to be assembled. A few clumps of trees, not leafed yet. The highway stretching off ahead, one car behind with lights on, two coming, one with lights.

Rounded hills behind me, the high sweep of the Sangres beyond. Scattered clouds hovering, contrails far above, pointing toward major cities. Brown grasses stirring in the breeze.

2 Comments:

At 9/27/2009 12:16 PM, Blogger Jerry Waxler said...

Ah, now that I've visited the Colorado Rockies, I am a believer. And thanks to your blog, I can stay in touch. What a feast of images. Beautiful.

Jerry
Memory Writers Network

 
At 10/01/2009 12:21 AM, Blogger Tom Rampton said...

Glad to help, Jerry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home