High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Upper Rudder Hinge mounting


When I mounted the upper rudder hingepost, I first epoxied it on and was soon going to drill the bolt holes and get it bolted on as soon as I could. I didn't do this soon enough the first time, and the hingepin assembly got bumped and knocked off. At least, I now had a smooth base of epoxy to mount it to!

The mounting with epoxy went very well, per the last photo here. I peeled off the Peel-Ply after a while, didn't do any more work that day, and on the next day I drilled the bolt holes.

Getting the nuts onto the ends of the bolts would be a tricky business. I'd Dremeled the access opening larger, as directed, but the space below was still not very accessible. It called for ingenuity.

I used a Twist-um to hold back the vertical pushrod. Then I had to put washers on the two bolt-ends. I put a piece of masking tape around my finger, and folded another piece to make it sticky on both sides. I stuck this onto the tape that was on my fingertip, and stuck the washer to the other side (double sided tape would also have worked). Then I reached into the opening, washer stuck to my finger, put the washer onto the bolt, and sort of brushed my finger away from it, leaving the washer on the bolt-end. Then I could put my finger back in (sans tape now) and slide the washer down to the base of the bolt, so it wouldn't fall off.

Then I taped the locknut lightly into a 10 mm open-end wrench and was able to get it started onto the bolt.  Snugged it up with the socket wrench that's in the next photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home