High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Lower Engine Bolt


Above is the front inside of the cockpit. The holes on both sides will be for rudder pedal/brake assemblies. The lower engine mount bolt goes through the firewall ahead of the gray material, and halfway between the sets of holes.

Below is the bottom of the firewall, as seen from in front. I have to install the engine mount bolt where there's a cutout in the outer material, exposing the fiberglass. My question is, how do I reach the backside of this hole to install the bolt? I can reach in under the floor, but I'm not sure my arm is quite that long. I'm supposed to put fiberglass resin around the head of the bolt to hold it, but how do I get it there to start with? I expect there's an easy solution, but I haven't thought of it yet. I'd rather not cut a hole in the gray floor material just to reach this bolt.

The other opening to the right here is for some other kind of line--maybe the fuel line.

2 Comments:

At 3/09/2009 12:00 PM, Blogger Tom Rampton said...

Aha! I just read on Paul Kuntz's site how I can get this bolt into place...through the hole adjacent to it. I must think on this, and make sure I have the method in place before I start. Tom

 
At 3/24/2009 11:58 PM, Blogger Tom Rampton said...

Saved by Pipistrel.... There's a new procedure now for putting this lower engine mount bolt in place. You use a hole saw about 22 mm in diameter and make an opening through the gray floor material such that you can access this bolt. No more epoxy, and no maneuvering the bolt in through the adjacent opening fastened to the end of something. This will be much better. The hole will be mostly out of site, but I'll put some sort of cover over it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home