High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ready to Build

Stands from Rotax boxes. The instruction book called for the making of stands, to support the Sinus during work. I thought about how I'd do that but wasn't satisfied with most options. Secure, sturdy stands would require some time to construct.

Aha! I had two empty Rotax engine boxes that would work. The third such box contained the Rotax engine. Various non-engine parts had been packed in the other two. So I used these, laying boards across each box (a 2x10 and a 2x6), and sawing away a few inches of the back of the front box, just in case anthing should go wrong back at the tail. My two stands are a little bit high, but I can deal with that.

I put mats over each of the boards and, having a box full of wooden wedges, I put one of those under each side of the front matt so that the fuselage won't tilt as easily.



Well, nearly ready, anyway! There are still a few specialized tools I need to gather from places like Aircraft Spruce, Harbor Freight, and others. But the Sinus is in my shop. Having masked all around, I'm about to go apply some black paint beneath where the edges of the windshield will go. I see that the instructions on the various cans of paints and glues are all in Slovenian, so I'll have some figuring out to do, but I think I've found the correct can. Perhaps there are enough similarities in languages that I can figure out what to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home