High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

First Steps


Windshield edge masked for painting


Sinus fuselage showing windshield recesses that are to be painted black

Constructing my Sinus, I'm still working on very basic things. I sanded around the edges of the windshield and the skylight, and painted same. The edge of these windows is sunken below the level of the the fuselage surface. I didn't know whether to paint so as to include the edge of the recessed area, or whether I should paint just the bottom. By masking, I allowed the black paint to come up the edges about halfway, perhaps a mm or so. I'm still not sure exactly how the transparent window material is going fit in, but if I were doing this again I think I'd only paint the bottom of the area where the these windows are going to go.

As predicted, reading the plans and the instructions is taking much more time than doing the work itself. If I were to build another one of these, I'd have all the tools on hand and I'd be able to do the work I've done so far in a very short time.

The very first job was to unpack two of the large wooden boxes that came with my kit. The other box contained the Rotax 912 four cycle aircraft engine. The other two contained transparent plastic bags with parts inside--each bag nicely numbered to be consistent with the parts list. Each of these plastic bags consisted of several chambers, each with sets of parts such as all the screws that pertain, for example, to the handgrip on the flap handle. And the grip itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home