High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sinus Brakes and Electrical Panel


I believe that I sanded the axle bearing on one wheel a bit too much, and the result was that these boltheads dragged ever so slightly on the wheel spokes after the wheel was assembled. Solution: I used two different sanding attachments on my Dremel tool, and shaved down the boltheads on their outside edge. I probably removed about a millimeter of metal, and it did the trick. I did not have to do this on the other wheel. This was time-consuming, but the bright color of the wheels and brakes almost makes up for that!

This is the optional Beringer wheel/brake system, with axle assembly not in place. Once I get to using it, I'll be glad I have the Beringers. Construction has been slow for various reasons, and tomorrow I need to drill four straight holes through the landing gear legs on each side, having secured the brake parts in place to locate these holes. Bolts will go through these holes to hold the whole brake assembly together.

This is the "electrical panel" mounted inside the cockpit of my Sinus. The mounting was not particularly convenient. It was difficult to maneuver the panel into place while also working a bolt through one of the holes. I still have not gotten a bolt into the lower-center mounting hole because the hole in the firewall that was partially drilled by Pipistrel as a guide wasn't really much of a guide at all. Its location was way off.

All the bolts that mount this plate have Allen wrench type heads. This is more convenient to work with than plain hex-head bolts. Instead of nuts, the fasteners at the forward end are nuts with a flange on one end, and four parts of that are bent down into points. These dig into the fiberglass of the firewall, and this fastener readily stays in place. The firewall is made of a polymer material into which the points dig in easily, and the fastener remains in place.

Electrical panel mounting is temporary, since there will be carpeting and sound deading material glued onto the back side of the firewall. This will be cut away in places where necessary to mount things like this.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home