High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Via Chicago to a Pittsburgh Graduation


Graduation in the large gym at Duquesne University near downtown Pittsburgh

I got to Chicago late that evening, to stay with a friend there who lives just a bit south of downtown. You drive past the Chicago White Sox stadium on 35th Street to get there. My friend's apartment is quite homey, but the neighborhood required that I take everything from my car up the long flight of stairs, including my Cruzbike. This was inconvenient, but I did it.

After walking around the corner for breakfast and back, I reloaded and drove off toward Pittsburgh on I-90. After paying a number of highway tolls, I arrived at a Super 8 motel up the Susquehanna River from Pittsburgh. I'd phoned ahead for reservations, just to make sure. I've been patronizing the Super 8 chain because they always have a strong Internet connection and I can go online with my laptop. Later in the trip, I had to use a Knight's Inn and the connection was there, but weak.

I got to Pittsburgh on a Friday night. There would be a graduation ceremony at five on Saturday, and then another at nine Saturday morning. I drove into the city Saturday afternoon to find my way around, did so, and headed the 13 miles back to my motel to change clothes.

I finally realized how little time I had, so I changed clothes quickly and headed out again. I got all the traffic lights and it went very smoothly! I made it to the graduation on time and from the balcony railing, made the photograph at the top of this section.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home