High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

More Good Snow!

This is as far as I went today--about 20 minutes up the Hancock road above St. Elmo, which is up Chalk Creek Canyon from where I live. The mountain in the background is the southern flank of Mt. Princeton. A maintained road comes up from the Upper Arkansas Valley.

The snow was excellent again this time. Several inches of new snow had fallen a couple of days earlier.


This rock, snow, and trees were very near the beginning of the Hancock road, where I happened to stop to tighten my boot laces.

Both photographs were corrected in the LAB color space, which allowed me to easily remove a reddish cast from the top photo, while leaving the bottom one slightly on the warm side. I thought it looked best this way. Importantly, use of the lightness channel let me hold a suggestion of detail in the lightest snow.

As I was putting on my skis this afternoon, down the road came Ed, my dentist, on his skis. He and some family members had been out doing what I was about to do.

Cross country skiing is a full body exercise. It uses about every muscle you've got! That's why I like to get out even for short ski sessions.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home