High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Palmer Station, Antarctica, Ice


David Ruth posted the photo below of ice at Palmer Station, Antarctica on his interesting blog and wondered about increasing detail in the whites. Apparently, his photos will be models for further creative work. I noticed on his website that he works with glass.

So I downloaded the image (one of several) and worked on it for a few minutes in Photoshop, using the LAB color space with which I'm very impressed. I'd just been doing some exploration of my own with LAB, another result of which I posted on here, as it happens, right before this one.

The original of Ruth's photo, as posted on his blog at http://davidruth.blogspot.com is below. The result of my experimentation is above. Adjustment could probably be carried even farther, but I stopped here.

It would probably help, David, if you were to lower the exposure (darken the image) in your camera just a little--say, down about half a step if there are ten steps total. That way, the values would be a little nearer the middle of the range, rather than crowded together at the top.

Enjoy your stay in Antarctica! It looks like a great opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home