High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Lava Falls, October 21, 2006

Lava Falls Rapid, one of the last big ones in the Grand Canyon. This, and a number of posts preceding this one, are about an October 2006 river trip.

This was a commercial trip, which is not my preference but it served a purpose. It gave me much more time to photograph in the afternoons than if I'd had to set up camp, cook, wash dishes, and so forth. I've rowed the canyon twice on private trips at much higher river levels, so I learned much about the river. It's different at lower water. If I ever get another private river permit, I'll be more knowledgeable. On this trip, I was able to do a lot of rowing. This kept me warm, which was unexpectedly important in October.

Our trip had a geology focus, with Ivo Lucchita along. Ivo had a number of maps and charts, which he would use to illustrate his various geology talks. Ivo's wife and daughter were also along, and wife Baerbel is also a geologist who shed an interesting light on a number of topics.

Arizona River Runners conducted the trip, and it was their last of the season.

There are many posts here about this trip, so enjoy.....! Remember that in a blog, the chronology of the posts is from bottom up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home