High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Honduras, August 2008

Lilia befriended us in our hotel dining area. Yes, she was selling baked goods (which were very good--I bought one to have along with my breakfast). She was a happy, friendly girl.

The beach on the Caribbean is the major attraction of Tela. There are side trips from Tela--one along the coast to visit a native population--but we did little except walk on the beach or sit among the palms. Our hotel included a restaurant where the eating was good.

From our hotel balcony--a view of a tour boat that takes passengers out into the harbor where cargo ships sometimes moor.

A good place to be--our hotel in Tela, Honduras. Our quarters were not luxurious or large, but that didn't matter. The beach here was superb. Patty looks out over the waters of the Caribbean, which was wonderfully warm. Getting out here required a bus change in San Pedro Sula at the large Terminal de Buses.

The license plate of the car seen parked in the photo below. It says "Honduras, C.A." in part for "Central America." Several times, I saw or heard "Central America" emphasized, and not just about license plates. Perhaps this is a point of pride with the citizens here, or perhaps there's another reason.

This was an eating place of some sort. Very likely chicken, similar to KFC in the US.

This appeared to be some sort of highway checkpoint, similar to ones I've seen in the USA.

Another building, the purpose of which is unknown to me

The country between Copan and San Pedro Sula was lush green, the land was agricultural to a large extent, and the hilltops were capped by clouds.

House near the highway in Honduras, a country that was green and moist.

Yes, this post is out of order. I've been to Honduras once, not twice. It was before Cataract Canyon, not after. But here it is...enjoy!

Note: Those of you who receive the texts of my posts by email get the first version posted--not the final version in which I've probably made various corrections. I've corrected about five things since this was posted several minutes ago.

1 Comments:

At 10/01/2008 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a treat! Scanning this page with all the various posts refreshes me and makes me long for the tropics!

Thanks Tom. I'll come back any time I need a pick-me-up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home