High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Strange Messages

It happened again this afternoon. I got a Yahoo IM message from someone with a very foreign name who wanted to chat with me.

I read an article within the last year that put me in the know about this. The lady was probably in Africa like an earlier communicant had been. I didn't learn which country. These are women who work for some boss who is not unlike a pimp. Their job is to spin a sad story that induces you to send them money--which goes to the boss, of course.

I ended the conversation quickly by saying goodbye and putting her on ignore. Yet I wonder about the true situation of these women. Beyond whatever tale this lady was about to tell me, there must be a real story that may or may not be a whole lot better. Are these women sadly oppressed, or is this maybe the best job in town? Who knows?

Back to work.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home