High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

My Prius is Still Amazing!

I'm still very happy with my Prius. This vehicle is no less than a work of genius.

I have no idea what's inside the "transaxle." I do know it does a perfect job of mixing power from the gasoline engine, and the battery via the electric motor. Or, when descending a hill or slowing down, it manages the reverse. The gasoline engine may shut down entirely and the motor becomes a generator. Energy, as shown by the energy management screen inside, can flow from either or both of the two motors to the wheels, from the gasoline engine through the generator to the battery, or from the wheels to the battery.

Several combinations are possible, and the hybrid system switches among them seamlessly. Driving down a highway that I once assumed was flat, and which seems flat even on a bicycle, there will be variations in the flow to or from the battery. Now I see that the highway isn't flat at all, but has shallow hills and valleys in it. That's enough to make the Prius' hybrid system switch modes!

It's really amazing. Fun to drive, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home