High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Continued Learning

A recent discovery has been this: college-level courses available on CD. Over the last few years, I'd received several free samples from The Teaching Company. I finally listened to one, and then ordered a set of CDs from The Great Courses series.

My first is How to Listen to and Understand Great Music. I'm now on CD number 2 out of 48 and am very pleased! Excellently presented in a scholarly manner by Dr. Robert Greenburg of the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, I think I'm hooked on this mode of learning.

Yeah, I took a similar course in college. But I'm a much more receptive person now than I was at age 20, and I have a much better framework into which new information and understandings can fit.

If I manage to finish this first course (I bought the CD version so I could listen while driving), then I'll have a wide choice of what else I'd like to learn or relearn. Right now, I'm thinking it'll be their calculus course. Or maybe the one about opera. Philosophy? History? Science?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home