High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Prius and Ham Radio

Regarding the installation of ham radio in my Prius:

Per the manual, I phoned Toyota about this and received a letter on the subject. Essentially, it said to make sure the radio is working properly--that the standing wave ratio (SWR) is not real high. If it is, then radio frequency (RF) power may be reflected back from the antenna and get into sensitive auto computer components

So I'll make sure to ground everything, and also to ground the hatchback door (on which the antennas will be mounted) to the chassis. I'll be using antenna mounts that are designed to fit around the edge of a trunk, a hood, or a hatchback door like mine. One is there already and it fits perfectly!

I know that others have experienced a situation in which an ungrounded trunk door resonated on a certain frequency, and messed things up. I plan to avoid that.

The letter cautioned against running an antenna or power wire right along with a bundle of wiring that's part of the Prius' electrical wiring harness. Better to cross such bundles at right angles to avoid inductive or capacative coupling.

All this seems real basic. Now I need to figure out how I'll mount the actual radio (It has a removable control head so the main unit can be under the seat or even farther back).

My letter from Toyota noted that there are many ham radio people in the U.S. and that there are even more (per capita) in Japan. I certainly wasn't told I couldn't install and use the radio: quite the contrary! I just have to do it right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home