High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Weekend Away

Got back Sunday afternoon from the Baca Grande, Colorado. On Saturday, my girlfriend and I went to a program presented orally by a visual artist. The artist was soft spoken and I couldn't catch all of what she said--but her paintings that were on display were superb!

My Toyota Prius continues to run very well. But I don't understand the fuel gauge. The "E" for empty began to flash a few miles south of Villa Grove, CO, and I stopped there to refuel. It took 8.5 gallons to fill the 11.X gallon tank. It had been about 320 miles from my last fill up, and I'm thinking 300 miles is about as far as I want to go. I calculated just over 42 mpg, which is about what other people report getting on the highway.

I do a similar gasoline gauge check for any new or used car I buy. It's very instructive, and particularly so on the Prius since the fuel gauge is so non-linear. It flashed empty today while there were about 3 gallons left in the tank. I'm getting the impression that Toyota really, really doesn't want you to drive a Prius (on the battery) when there's no fuel to run the engine! In the manual, it says that severe damage will result from doing that.

I did a series of photographs for a friend who also lives in the Baca Grande. She's doing a book and needed photos of herself doing some of the exercises that she's written about. These were just a few of the ones we did about a month ago, in which there was a unfortuate expression or something like that.

All in all, a very good and relaxing weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home