High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Monday, June 02, 2008

On Out To Bedrock

Just a short distance away from the takeout is the Bedrock Store. I think I bought some cheese or something, and perhaps a drink. It's a good re-introduction to the world. I enjoyed my drive out to Ridgway, along one of the valleys that are salt-collapse structures. Speaking of which, the Dolores River is a major contributor of salt to the Colorado River system.

The takeout at Bedrock. Takeouts are always hard work, but my trailer
makes it a lot easier now! I used to have to roll up my raft.

On river left there's a trail just a few miles from Bedrock that takes you to a good set of dinosaur tracks on a face of sandstone that shows ripples--either water-made, or eolian.

Evening at our last camp.

Here is the neck of the entrenched meander at Muleshoe Bend. Early in the geologic future, the river will erode across this neck and Muleshoe Bend will be cut off. The bend will still be there, but there won't be any water. We can find numerous places along western rivers where this has happened. There's one on the San Juan near Four Foot Rapid. Three Canyon in Desolation is one. So is Anderson Botton in Stillwater Canyon.

This is where I slept on our next-to-last night. I didn't see a good campsite but I did see this rather flat rock right above the water. I DO have a sleeping pad, so I set up there. It was great since I'm not a sleepwalker.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6/07/2008 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great chronicle of what looks like an amazing trip! I can't wait to do it with you some time!! patty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home