High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Face to Face

I was in my garage a few minutes ago, near the south window, when a group of twenty or thirty deer wandered by. On this third day of April, they were eagerly seeking whatever small green shoots had come up.

Pickings have been "slim to none" all winter. A few of the deer had fairly sleek coats but most were a bit on the ragged side. Some of them looked young, but not like fawns. Yearlings, maybe? I don't know.

I turned off the light inside the garage so they couldn't see me, and stood at the window watching. Some of the animals were about two feet away. All were within about fifty feet.

I wanted to go back to my house, but I didn't want to open the garage door and make the deer run. That would cause the expenditure of much energy, and I doubt the deer have much of that to spare this time of year. So I got a long close look at them. When they moved off, I opened the garage door and went back to my house.

It was an interesting, up-close look at survivors of a long winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home