High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

To Xenia, Ohio

Here is Xenia, Ohio, formerly a railroad hub. Now it's a rails-to-trails hub, and a nicely done town. Our destination for the night was Wilberforce University, in Wilberforce, just a few more miles along another bike trail.

More tents. Actually, these are the same tents as before. Just a slightly different view of them.

Morning has come. This is Ginny Sullivan, a representative on the trip from Adventure Cycling which is located in Missoula, Montana. I recently read that Ginny is the head of Adventure Cycling's effort to map bicycling routes.

This was our first camp. It was on a large lawn surrounding Loveland High School in Loveland, Ohio, which is only a few miles from Cincinnati. We made a lot more miles (about 27) along the streets and bike trail than we did in a straight line.

Bike trail, which we followed for most of two days. I'm unable to identify the places along it from memory, but by numbers in the photo filenames, this must not have been far out of Cincinnati.

Three of our group about to leave the Harriet Beecher Stowe house, which was actually more her father's house than hers. She only lived there three years. Her father was well known too, but I can't remember why. The house used to be far from the city but now it's well within the city.

1 Comments:

At 8/28/2009 12:27 PM, Anonymous www.heliotropepress.com said...

Hi Tom,
I was on the heart of the UGRR trip with you-Kathy and Mary Rose. I didn't know you are a writer. I am as well. I have a novel out, Mommy Machine and have had work appear in anthologies, etc. I also have my own small press...Heliotrope Press. Thanks for posting your photos. I enjoyed them. I am currently writing an article about our trip that I hope to have published in Adventure Cyclist. Kathy McElligtt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home