High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Inner Gorge, Oct 14, 2006

Our day into the Inner Gorge was cool and rainy. There were many small waterfalls like this one, though I didn't photograph much because I wanted to keep my camera dry.

Hance Rapid was run in the middle, though a private group was running on the far left, like we did twice at higher water.

The black rocks of the Inner Gorge are polished and wonderful! This is what Precambrian rock oughta look like, in my opinion.

There was a break in the weather as we got to Phantom Ranch, and most of us walked the quarter mile to buy snacks or mail letters. My wallet was packed away, so I only mailed letters.

Horn Creek Rapid wasn't the horror the guides had been talking about, because the water was a bit higher. It was a run between the "horns" where a right entry had been anticipated. This company used to have two dories, until one didn't make the necessary pull in Horn Creek. Now they've only got one dory.

We camped at Granite Rapid this night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home