High Mountain Doings

From 8200 feet along one side of the Upper Arkansas River Valley in central Colorado, my blog is about many things: travel including river and bicycle trips, and other experiences as well. The focus is on photography, not lots of text.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Who Needs a Tent?



For the Ruby-Horsethief river trip described here, I drove over to Fruita on Sunday the 14th, and camped at the Colorado River State Park--Fruita unit. This was very successful. I laid my bed out where a tent would normally go (on a square of wood chips provided for the purpose). In the morning, I went (without the boat and trailer) to eat, and then over to the launch area to get ready. Meanwhile, the rest of the group was coming from Crestone. I was all rigged when they arrived.

It's worth noting that the state park has a raft launch at the river. We didn't launch here, but I certainly would on future Ruby-Horsethief private trips.

2 Comments:

At 5/27/2006 8:06 PM, Blogger Kathryn said...

Hey Tom, what is the town of Fruita like? Where did you eat?

 
At 5/27/2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Tom Rampton said...

The town of Fruita is small, but it has a "Main Street" which includes at least one popular breakfast place. It would compare with Mac's in Crestone, but on a busier street and in an older building.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home